Sunday, September 21, 2008

signed sealed delivered

I believe in writing letters.

In today's world of technology, we are caught up in emails and instant messaging. Now, while these commodities are definitely convienient and useful, they tend to be used in place of good old fashioned mail. Personally, I love opening my mailbox to find an envelope from a friend. It gives a much more personal connection. The letter that you read was, at one point, in their hands. You know that they took the time out to write, sign, seal, and deliver that letter for you. And let me stress again, I am not suggesting that emails, facebook, or IMs are bad, just that they are simply not the same. Nothing can replace the thoughtful, sometimes painful experience of writing letters. The cramp that takes over after about half a page plays in even more to the effort required to write a letter.

Since I have been in Chicago (about a month), I have written at least one letter to almost all of my friends from New Hampshire. I talk to most of them online, but it just isn't the same. I like the excitment and anitcipation of opening the envelope, and wondering exactly what it is you are about to read. The pen and paper give you a perfect opportunity to let the contents of your mind flow out of, moreso than a computer. You know that whatever you put on the paper will be seen firsthand by the addressee. And while nothing can convey feeling as much as being in person, a letter may be the next best thing. You can write a word however you want, as opposed to just bold or italic, big or small. You can accompany it with a drawing, or just a simple "p.s."

There's just something about the process involved with a letter that you can't get anywhere else. Write it. Sign it. Seal it. Send it. If you haven't sent one in a while, try it out. Send it to your mom, dad, friend, or teacher. Heck, send one to me. Don't forget the stamp.

2 comments:

Leizl said...

Ahh, I know exactly what you mean. There is nothing like getting the mail and finding a self addressed envelope from a friend and opening it to find a hand-written letter. I haven't gotten any of these in a while... :(

Lets be pen pals!

bill ross! said...

hahaa totally!

we have to keep the usps alive!!

:P