
Artist Statement
I have created this music in order to develop a “self-self portrait.” In construction of this song, I did not purposely write with myself in mind. Instead, I cleared my head and simply began writing the first thing that came into my mind. I think this more accurately displays who I am as a person because it is a description of me in my normal state. I am not forcing a theme to happen or allowing myself to become influenced by some outside source. I enjoy music with quick rhythms and variety within the song itself, reflecting in my personal writings. Piano is the one instrument I would like to say I am somewhat good at, therefore I am writing this tune as a piano piece. Accompanying the music are various images. I am using a variety of photographs, paintings, and drawings I have created in order to further the portrayal of self through sound and sight. This slideshow represents images that inspire me, remind me of things I love, and overall represent my creative side.
I think the self is difficult to describe. There is a question raised in relating self to identity. What is the difference? Many different facets make each of us unique. This song, or a painting, or a journal entry, or any of a number of projects cannot fully define who I am as a person, but it can reveal small portions of who I am. It identifies me as a creative person. It shows how I am a deeply thoughtful person, and how my creativity influences who I am on a daily basis. These aspects of self all contribute to identity by describing me in pieces to create an overall self-image. Overall, this piece reflects me in a unique way. My identity is crafted through images and music that inspire and initially draw roots from my imagination.
7 comments:
okay so i thought your music was amazing and i've always wanted to know how to play paino so kudos to you haha!! One thing i really admired about your project though is that you chose to go above and beyong what was asked and you not only composed a piece but you also put it to a slideshow... you can deffinatly tell you put a lot of time and consideration into your project!
okay for my question... will you teach me how to play piano haha no but really i wanted to know what art was yours the whole time the slide was playing. some of it i could tell but others i was unsure! oh yeah and speakin of the slide show i'm really happy you used that picture on the blog because it was my favorite!!!
(lol - ok well they were all photographs i took - and every drawing and painting was done by me)
I like the colors and the drawing is awesome. I really like the face and it was very well done. Great job
The colors you used in your art work were really captivating. It definitely held my interest. The shading was beautiful. As for you music...flawless. I admire your skills.
I want to know what was really going through your mind when you were clearing it. What was your normal state of mind?
I thought this was such a great and interesting way of defining yourself. I think piano is hard to learn. I was put in lessons when I was younger and hated it! Now I wish I stuck with it was able to play:) The music and the pictures were amazing! What made you choose these particular pictures?
I thought that this was really great. The fact that you were able to just write something just for the project is great. I have a little experience in songwriting, but something like that on piano would take me quite a while. The song complements the pictures and artwork nicely.
The one question that I would ask is how you chose which artwork to put in. Did you just go through and pick the ones you are most proud of, or did you look specifically for things that you think define you, etc.
I really like this project. I would have to say it is my favorite. I mean you wrote your own music. That is oof the charts and really identifies you as a talented person. I'm impressed.
Post a Comment