Monday, September 15, 2008

Product of the 80s

At one point in everyone’s childhood, the time comes to addressed ones parents on the important topic of changing their name. Whether the idea steams from the teacher’s constant mispronunciation or just the fact that it doesn’t fit your power ranger persona, we’ve all decided we needed a new name. This day came for me in second grade when I was told for the hundredth time my name (Jordan) was a boy name. Once I got home, I attempted to renegotiate the name thing with my mother, until she told me that she actually got my name from a famous actress in the 80s. One day my mother was on bed rest and she had just finished a movie, Adventures in Babysitting, and looking at the credits, she noticed the actress that portrayed the babysitter named Jordan. Not being a common name for a girl at the time, my mother quickly decided it was going to be mine. Intrigued by not only the famous origin of my name but the fact it came from a girl I decided it was a more acceptable name and I could deal with the constant questioning of whether I was a boy or a girl for the rest of my life.

No comments: