Monday, September 8, 2008

Who I Admire

My grandmother, Carleen Kelley, grew up on her family’s farm in Oklahoma. Her childhood was like the classic tragic story filled with death, abuse and poverty, yet those experiences motivated her to strive towards a better life. One of my grandmother’s characteristics that I admire is her personal drive and work ethic. At the age of seventeen, Carleen moved out and got married and pregnant with her first child. After a week of living the picturesque family life, her husband picked up and left her alone pregnant. Not having more than a high school diploma, Carleen got two jobs as a secretary to support her child. Although she had two jobs she still managed to obtain her supermom title. Carleen was involved with all my mother’s activities and was head of PTO at school. My grandmother used her children as motivation and worked enough to pay for all three of her children’s college education. Another reason I look up to my grandmother is her positive outlook on life and passion for people. My grandmother is one of those people that lights up a room whenever she walks in. Even when we go out to dinner, by the time we leave she knows the entire staff by name. Carleen is an amazing listener whose interest in others has a way of making them feel important. Embracing everyone around her, my grandmother is the first to forgive and forget. The capacity for empathy is rooted within another quality that I admirer about her, she possesses the deepest devotion to God. It is not only evident in her ability to forgive, but I’ve watched her make the lord evident to a room full of unbelievers. Although my grandmother Carleen has experienced numerous hardships she continues to maintain a positive outlook on life. In addition to keeping herself positive, she teaches others and myself to appreciate and embrace all aspects of life.

No comments: