Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Amanda Doering Blog 1

I grew up in an Italian home. Since I was a little girl whenever we had family gatherings the men would go downstairs to play cards and the women would stay and cook in the kitchen. Whenever I look through my family pictures almost ever single snapshot is of everyone either around the kitchen or the table eating. Eating nothing but pasta and lots of desserts. Of course the food was amazing but it is the talks I had in particular with my grandma that I will always cherish.
 She always smelled like an amaretto cookie and wore this bright pink lipstick. She would hold my little hands in her cold hands and give them a gentle squeeze. Her eyes dark blue with a glimmer. Somehow no matter what I was going through at the time she could tell what was bothering me. She would just sit there and listen to me talk and talk about my problems and feel them like they were her own. Her compassion, concern and dreams for me I will never forget. She gave the best advice and always had a loving touch that I will carry with me forever. I talk about my grandma like she no longer exists because at the moment she has Alzheimer's and doesn't even remember me... I have always wanted to tell her how much I truly admire her but that is hard when the person I looked up to, the one I spent all of my time with no longer remembers me.

No comments: