Monday, September 15, 2008

Sarah: "Princess"

I have to say that the meaning behind my first name is much more accurate and interesting than my last. Although my last name has significant history, it’s rather dull. The surname Luckett is anglo-saxton, and was given to my ancestors by the English Christian church. Immigrants moving to American colonies brought the last name to America. My last name is from the Dad’s side of the family, but as far as my ancestry, I relate more to my Mom’s Irish and Native American roots.
As much as I don’t relate to my last name, I definitely relate to my first. Sarah is Hebrew for “princess”. Ever since I was a little girl my grandmother called me the princess of the family, and even though I’m naturally a laid back person, I definitely have my southern belle princess moments. The name Sarah also was the name of the wife of Abraham in the Old Testament, who had a child at the age of 90. Since I’m not a particularly religious person, this aspect of my name freaks me out a bit. I’ve always found the Hebrew translation of my name to be very interesting and slightly comical, since it occasionally reflects my personality.

No comments: