The history of my name is not very exciting. First, I found out the reason "Bill" comes from "William". The change from W to B was due to an early Irish pronouniation of William. Now, the first name William is derived from the German name Wilhelm. This name is a combination of the words wil, meaning "will or desire", and helm, meaning "helmet or protection". The name William became popular in England after William the Conqueror became the king of England. It is most famously borne by Scottish and English men.
I found the history of my last name to be even more disappointing. "Ross" was the name of a shire in Scotland. So basically, I am an Irish guy whose name has German and Scottish roots. I am not entirely sure of why I have the name William. My dad and grandfather are both named William Ross, but my middle name is different, so I do not have the "third" suffix.
No comments:
Post a Comment