Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Sarah Luckett's Project


Artist's Statement on its way!

My self is a stretch of sand along a shoreline. Along it have walked memories, people, and places. Each has left a footprint, an impression, which has faded with the tides, but existed nonetheless. However, along my shoreline of self lie six separate foot prints, which never fade. These six footprints are concrete, and have yet to fade away with the tides of my years. These six footprints define who I am.
When I received this assignment I immediately was drawn to the third prompt (“Impressions of Identity). Through class discussion I began to form a distinct belief that my “self” was completely made up of the people and experiences that have influenced me. My memories make up who I am
I decided to make a sort of replica of my self-shoreline, and the different impressions that have been made upon me. Originally I wanted the project to hang in the air, to be three-dimensional. However, my admitted lack of technical skill caused a change in plans. I felt like my orignal idea was too complex, and prohibit the discovery of my deeper meaning, so I shifted the project to follow simpler route – my shoreline theme.
My project consists of different “footprints” made out of pictures. The “toes” of these footprints are words that explain the impression that has been made on me. I also included pictures of myself, taken from different angles, each one paired with a photo of something that has left an impression. I believe in a complex “self”, where each memory or experience has affected different aspects of my personality, thus including pictures from different angles.

8 comments:

Morgan said...

This was a really cool way to express who you are and why you are the way you are. Very cool idea and the way you did it was unique. I enjoyed it.

john.smisek said...

this was probably one of my favorite ideas for these projects I saw! awesome interpretation of the assignment and really good description. the size of it was really awesome, too! (i'm pretty sure it was the biggest project, right?) i only wish you could have held it up so i could see it better! in terms of questions it raises, it got me thinking about my own life and where my path is heading. you had a point about how deep the footprint is and whether or not it gets washed away or something (sorr - i forgot!) - that was really significant for me

Jordan said...

this was soooo creative with the words and foot prints and pictures in the footprints... i was in awe!! i would have never been so insightful so great job!! you could deffinatly tell you put a ton of thought into this which is great and it was deffinatly unique and one i remembered!! my one question for you is what made you change your original plan of having the footprints double sided and all strung together?

Sam Staley said...

I really like the footprints idea and it best represents you. I like that you used pictures of yourself. Nice job

MKettlewell said...

I love that you did this on the brown paper to represent footprints in the sand.

if you were to continue working on this piece, do you think there would be some "footprints" that would leave deeper imprintations in your life?

Baylee said...

This was a really cool idea. The footprints was creative but it was still something everyone can relate to.
Is there any footprints in your life that you wish would fade away?

Mandy said...

Your presentation was really great and I loved the symbolic meaning with the paper and the footprints. I would never be able to get up and talk that in depth about my family life like you did! But it gave me a deeper understanding of who you are the path that you have walked. How did you come up with the idea of the feet as pictures? It was really creative.

bill ross! said...

All I can really say about this is that it's great. The concept, the actual project, and your presentation, all awesome. ha

If I had to ask a question, it would be why did you choose what you did for the end of the footsteps? (I forget exactly what it was, and I can't see it in the picture!)

Great project!