Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Madeline Kettlewell's Project


Mirrors and Metaphors
The task of this portfolio, as I came to understand it, is to display or create a symbol, which defines my identity at its essence. The symbol I chose that distills myself to its very essence would be that of a Hatchetman woven in to a Triquetra. I feel that these two symbols are a strong representation of who I am, as they both relate to my faith and what I believe in. I chose to show these symbols in a painting to further represent what I think best describes me. When faced with the challenge of creating this portfolio piece, I began with thinking of what different images may best describe my identity and eventually came to the conclusion that I could not use just one. As my project developed, my interpretation of a symbol describing my identity transitioned in to a description of my identity through my beliefs. I hold my beliefs very close to my heart and feel that, in some sense, they directly correlate to my constantly evolving personality.
The ‘hatchetman’ symbol is something commonly related to the “underground” musical group the Insane Clown Posse and their avid listeners. These fans have created a cult following to ICP’s music and record label, and consider themselves to be a non-conventional family. Ideally, this family dynamic takes pride in the acceptance of others regardless of social status, race, or any other defining factor that may affect one’s ability to “fit in” by normal standards. I consider myself to be one of these avid listeners and actually wear this symbol as a charm on my necklace (something which I have only taken off once in the four years of me owning it). To me, the hatchetman is a representation of the three phases of myself: the person I was, the person I am today, and the person I shall become. In short, it represents the evolution of my identity, which I don’t think could have happened without the help of my ‘family’.
The symbol that can be seen wrapped around the hatchetman is that of a triquetra. The triquetra is often referred to as a Celtic knot and has many meanings, depending upon the person and cultural backgrounds. For me, the triquetra is a symbol of my religious beliefs. This knot is often recognized to be symbolic of the holy trinity in Christianity. Interestingly enough, predating Christianity it has been symbolic of Pagan beliefs, specifically Wicca. This is how the symbol defined me. I have been a practicing Wiccan for many years now and still spend the majority of my free time studying my faith and meditating on my beliefs. Within Wicca, the triquetra is symbolic of the three phases of the Goddess: the Maiden, the Mother, and the Crone. Just as I found the hatchetman to be symbolic of the three phases of myself, the triquetra is symbolic of what I believe to be the three phases of the Earth and Cosmos.
When it came to the actual painting, I used color as a somewhat superficial representation of who I am, as I am obsessed with color. Whether it is my interest in obscure hair dyes and their possible color combinations, or just my interest in color and its composition, I think there is something to be said about my enthusiasm about color and form. I used my feelings about color to connect these symbols in to one, unified painting. My intention was to show an emotional sense of exuberance and energy with this. Whether or not it was successful is solely up to the viewer. Ultimately, I feel that this painting is representative of how I see my identity at its essence.

11 comments:

Morgan said...

This picture is really appealing to the eyes..I like it alot and kept me interested in it.


What is Wicken?

john.smisek said...

i think the colors in this picture are awesomely bright and the style of it is so.. stylish! great representation of yourself as well as a great description!

MKettlewell said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MKettlewell said...

Wicca is a pagan based religion/set of beliefs.

Jordan said...

so i love all the color and i could deffinatly see your personality in this picture which is great! i also loved how you intertwined all the symbols together and had the ring around it.. it really made the picture! i was also wondering what the man stood for ... i forgot the name of the group but i wanted to know what that group was exactly? great job!!! ps. and i liked how you framed it to make it presentable ... very nice finishing touch!!

john.smisek said...

i know you talked about it in class, but i wanted to know a bit more as to why you chose those 2 images to create your identity as opposed to other images. also, did you plan to design it with such a bright, almost commercial appearance?

just curious! good job!

Sam Staley said...

I like the colors and the ICP sign. It is a very good drawing and the colors really give it a pop. Great Job

Baylee said...

I loved the colors. It definitely reflected you and your awesome hair, which i love by the way :)
The rings around the man/figure it very intriguing. I think it is awesome you have beliefs and a religion. If you wanted this to represent you, you nailed it.

Does the knife the man/figure holds have any significance?

Mandy said...

THis is one of my favorites! The vibrant colors you use are really what sparked my interest in your drawing. Thanks for being so open and sharing your life and religious beliefs. I learned something new and you can clearly see the passion you have in drawing and life:)

Ka-Byrnes said...

This project had a lot of personality to it. Loved the colors and design. It was very insightful into your Wicca beliefs, with the stages of life (the maid, mother and croan i believe?). I'm not particularly religious but its always interesting to hear of peoples faith and philosophy.

bill ross! said...

I thought this was very cool. You told me some things that I didn't know. I have actually had quite a few friends who have been really into the hatchetman stuff, juggalos, icp, twiztid, etc, but I never really knew much of what it was all about. So I liked that. Also, the incorporation of the colors and the triquetra was great. Good explanation and presentation of the different aspects of yourself. And I love the drawing itself, how it is interwoven and stuff. Great!

Are the interwoven pictures pretty much a representation of how the "hatchetman culture" (for lack of a better term -- what would that be called?) has a lot in common with Wicca?