When I was younger I hated going on road trips with my parents. My brother and I were stuck in the back seats crammed between the food and all of the suit cases. We would drive to Wisconsin every summer and go to Lake Delton for some "family fun". I always disliked looking out the window and seeing nothing but hills, grass and the occasional cow. I never knew what to do with myself for those three hours. Between my brother poking me throughout the trip and my dad snoring in the passenger seat while listening to the oldies; I was ready throw myself out of the car and walk the rest of the way. This was until I got older and was able to drive by myself..
When I was able to drive it made those long summer road trips so much better, and even inspiring. Sometimes my brother would come along with me and we would have fun just listening to the music we wanted, talking about stupid things and laughing at the weird people we would pass by. There was something so peaceful about looking out the window and seeing nothing but wide open spaces and the sun shining down on the rolling hills. Driving was inspiring to me and I would write pages upon pages in my journal about everything that I had experienced on those rides. Now that we are older I look back on those traveling memories and cherish them. My brother and I are closer because of those hours stuck in the car together. I believe in long road trips.
1 comment:
I totally understand! my family (of 6!!!) goes on long road trips every summer and i always was frustrated being in the company of my family for such long periods of time - especially being so close together as well! But i also understand your feelings now. as i have "grown up" i realize how nice it actually is to talk, or not talk, and just have some time to excape from the reality of life. nice blog topic!
Post a Comment