Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Diamond Stingily's Project

Photobucket
The art that I am conveying in this piece is music. Music is universal and displays emotions when words are truly not enough. It can be beautiful and innocent as a child being borned, silly and clumsy when someone loses their teeth for the first time, and sad and somber when families are going through hard times. There is a soundtrack to everything in life including the simple things in life. The idea is for people to understand me as a person as while as artist. With these seventeen songs I have chosen to display my past life with the songs that I listen to today. Music is constantly evolving; it is the only thing that everyone loves considering all the different genres in the world. I made the soundtrack of my life to start off simple not with many words and if they had vocals, it involved gibberish (Portugal. The Man – Opal Magic), to more complex and complicated vocals/lyrics when a child reaches the age of interaction with others besides family. The idea is that music is expression without words and that when someone listens to what you listen to on a constant basis. They are getting a sense of you and all that you stand for as a person. Without music there would be no culture. It is a source of communication to all generations and walks of life.

9 comments:

Morgan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
john.smisek said...

i thought this was such a cool idea! it seems like EVERYONE has an ipod or mp3 player, and you hear which songs are people's favorites, but you never hear which songs DEFINE people! this was an awesome idea beause it demonstrated a deep knowledge of self in an unlikely area! good job!

(p.s. it would have been cooler if we were able to hear like 30 seconds of EACH song as opposed to just one.... just my thoughts! :) )

Jordan said...

i loved your idea because it's totally true that you can tell a person by their playlist! i mean when you first meet someone you always ask what type of music they like because music is such a big part of everyones life! i just wish i coulda seen the cool cd cover.. was it just those pictures ( ps. those are really cute... your really photogenic... bad speller sorry)? also i was wondering who was that that you played in class because i liked it and i want to download it lol! anyway fabulous idea loved it!

Sam Staley said...

I really really like the pictures and they are very funny. I like how they are all different and they really define you. Nice job

MKettlewell said...

I love the idea of you creating like a soundtrack to your life. Although we didn't hear much of it, it sounds like you captured your personality well in it.

can i read the playlist?

Baylee said...

Honestly this might sound silly but what really truly captivated me was the mere thought of your soundtrack and the idea to start off with simple music. Because as a child our lives are simple. And as we grow older our lives do get more complicated. It's life, It's a fact. I thought you expresses that idea very well.
And your picture strip is beautiful.
As for a question... I want to know what music inspires you? Like, if you had to choose one song that defines you, what would it be?

Mandy said...

I loved the song you played and would have loved to hear more of what was on your cd. Your artist statement was really great as well and you gave a really good presentation. Great job!

bill ross! said...

Well, everyone seems to be saying the same thing that I wanted to say :D But yeah, it really is an interesting thought, finding songs that you don't just like, but that you feel define different parts of your life. For me, there are certain songs or albums that remind me of a certain period of my life, or a certain event. Whenever I listen to these songs, I get a certain image in my head, and I am reminded of that. Is that what you did here, or were they just songs that seem to connect with your life?

Either way, great idea, wooo!

Ka-Byrnes said...

this was a great idea. Each of our lives is kind of lie a film and to each film is a score that translates a mood. Though i didn't hear much of the tracks i thought it was a thoughtful insight to your life. did yo find much variation in the types of music composing this compilation?