Sunday, September 21, 2008

Bitter Gourd


I believe in the bitter gourd (balsam pear). I just got this idea when I had dinner with the bitter gourd. I think there are not much people known what the bitter gourd is. It’s a vegetable planted a lot of Southeast Asia, South Asia, China and the island of Caribbean Sea. It’s green and taste is bitter. I remembered when I was first time to eat the bitter gourd, I vomited a piece of a bitter gourd as fast as lightning when I was bitten it. I said, “Oh mom, it’s too bitter!” My parents laughed at me and said when you grow up, you will like it. I waved my hand and said, “I never like it.”

I believe in the bitter gourd because it proved what my father had said. I start to try the bitter gourd. I don’t hate the bitter gourd like when I was a child. I grew up and tasted a little bit, but I still vomited it out. It’s different between the first one because this time is not completely bitter, it has little bit sweet. It’s not really sweet as sugar. I start to understand what my father meant. When a person grows up, he realizes things more then he was a child. If I compare the bitter of the bitter gourd to bitter of live, the bitter gourd’ bitter is nothing.
I believe in the bitter gourd. It’s good food for health. Many Chinese foods are with the bitter gourd. It has 55% vitamin C and 93.95g water over 100g a whole bitter gourd. It has a lot of different Vitamins in it.

2 comments:

Jordan said...

i really like how you related the bitter gourd to maturing as an adult.. it was a really smooth transition... i liked it! and i did learn something new from your blog because i have never heard of a bitter gourd til now lol!

Leizl said...

You are the only person outside of my family who I've met who likes the bitter gourd. In my family we call it bitter-melon. It is probably one of my favorite vegetables. It is the best when it's been pickled in vinegar for a few days and mixed with garlic and onions and salt and pepper.