Tuesday, November 25, 2008
Religion vs. Society
When searching for a topic to listen to on the radio page, I decided to look into Christian Science since I've been studying a Christian Science church as a subculture for Writing and Rhetoric II. I stumbled upon a radio show about the Christian Science religion and some common misconceptions. The two most common misconceptions where that the religion was in fact a religious cult and that the idea of "Christian Science" was just a nicer way of saying scientology. Through this radio show, I learned that misconceptions are formed on a daily basis about almost every religion and because of these misconceptions; many churches in America are finding a decrease in the amount of members attending the church. Also brought up in the show was not only the fact that people are steering themselves away from religion by their stereotyping, but that maybe some religions are lacking members because of their lack of progression. If a church doesn't grow and change with society, thus sticking straight to their traditional ways, how will the church be able to fulfill the spiritual needs of the younger generations? The big question that this radio show brought to the forefront of my mind is: Is it the Church that needs to morph with society or has society lost its spiritual need for the church (and maybe the true meaning of religion itself)?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
wow that is interesting..i would not have been able to listen to that. thats cool that you enjoy that stuff!
Post a Comment