Monday, October 6, 2008

Elizabeth Ragan's Project


“Beauty is in the eye of the beholder”; a popular saying that most of us have heard at one time or another. The architecture of our lives surrounds us McDonalds, the Sears Tower, and our homes. Although not something inspired by a specific human architecture carries a sense of warmth and that is what drives me. I love buildings that are warm and inviting places where souls can meet; sharing a cup of coffee or glass of wine. Creating a space or building is easier said than done having to strive everyday to be better and pay attention to the world around us and it’s ever changing needs.
Giving the straight lines of a blueprint life, making them move, and their beauty rise into the sky is my passion. Architects never know how the structure will change and if anything will aspire then to those changes. Life is rooted in creativity always giving something a chance; art and science working together hand in hand.
Many things have inspired me through life, but when I see buildings I see endless possibilities inside and out. Art stops where my imagination stops. God gave me talents to see things maybe others wouldn’t and to collaborate with those who have been given talents I do not posses. The human race was designed to work as a team and I see that as a huge strength for the imagining mind. I will always keep learning new things if I’m not willing to do that life would lose its virtue.


---- When choosing to do this self portrait I was thinking of a way to combine everything I do in to one body of work. Not sure how it would come together and if it would be possible. I have chosen to take slides of my work from my architecture classes, makeup artist projects, and the rock band I was in to compile slide show. I narrated this slideshow myself with an instrumental soundtrack. I hope this piece brings across who I am and that I have a deep rooted passion in many areas.

3 comments:

john.smisek said...

this project was awesome! it had such a poetic feel to it and it was really inspirational to watch and listen to. REALLY good job! its been a while so i don't really remember any questions that were raised for me - but looking at the picture you submitted - architecture? is/was that something you were interested in at one point? or is that what you are doing now??? lol i dont even know!

fantastimazing project!

Ka-Byrnes said...

to be honest, you consistently upstage everyone. Not that i hold anything against you for it... really good job on giving your message, it really made me think into your field and how its more than just making buildings, but places of community and love. Are you currently working in the field?

Jordan said...

you had my favorite artist statment out of everyone. It wasn't boring or dry at all, it flowed and sounded beautiful! i loved it! also i really liked your slide show alot and how you put your artist statment running through it! so what do you want to design... houses or office buildings or what type of architecture do you want to do?