Saturday, October 11, 2008

Amanda Doering's Project

Summertime Flowers

The sun is shining through the puffy clouds above
Its orange and yellow rays embrace me
Nourishing the flowers below
Those vibrant pinks and reds
With droplets of dew running down their plush petals
I close my eyes and take in the smell of sweet flowers
Reminding me of the garden my mother has back home
I see her radiant face caring for each plant
Compassionately growing each one with patience and love
Her smile is forever embedded in my heart

Artist's Statement --

First off, let me start by explaining my passion in life. My true passion is writing and journaling. I usually write poems, short stories, or just a journal entry of the day’s events. In this project my work consists of poems that explain who I am at this very moment in life. My work is inspired by my personal experiences, family, where I grew up, influential people, friends and books. It is so hard to identify as just one thing. Within this project I have developed many layers of poems that go from the physicality of me to my inner being.
Going more in depth in this project, identifying myself and trying to inspire whoever reads my work to find their inner self, is how I want to motivate. By taking my poems and writing them in layers I am slowly identifying myself and what defines me as a person. I wanted to write specifically about my parents and the connections I have with them; also my work experiences because I think that this is another defining factor of my identity. Overall I want to portray myself in the light of being family orientated and well rounded.
With my book I am using different pictures to symbolize my past experiences and my life. The front has two quotes that mean something to me and have given me inspiration. I have two eyes on the front as well. One is small and black and white. The other is big with multiple colors. The small eye is looking up to the big eye to symbolize thinking outside of the box and always looking for something better in life. I chose a lantern and put a flower inside of it. This represents my mom who has always given me light in dark times and the yellow flower symbolizes her beautiful bright presence in my life. The next artifact one the front is Jesus opening a heart door. I am religious and that is a part of my past, present, and future. I wanted to show him as always opening doors, especially in my life. I know he has been there to pick me up when things have gone wrong. I chose a black and white background because I feel as though my life at one point was very black and white. Then color was added, as I got older. Life started to become more meaningful as I matured.
My poems are all about the people who have influenced my life and myself. Especially my mom and dad. I write a specific poem about my mom as a flower. I also write about my best friend Alexis in this story and how she has helped me grow as a person and has influenced my identity. I think my work ethic is a huge part of my identity as well, so in two other poems I discuss my working experiences from when I was younger and one from present day.
Overall, I want whomever reads this to be able in some way relate it to their lives and realize that although we might be complete strangers, have different backgrounds, in some way we are connected.

1 comment:

Jordan said...

amanda this took alot of guts.. you could tell all of these poems are very personal and close to you so i give you props for putting them out there like that!! one thing i wanted to ask was what sparked yoru interest in writing poems?