Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Dance Defines Me


During this project, I faced the complicated task of defining myself. Rather than picking a personality trait or picture, I decided to focus on my passion, dance. Dancing for me isn’t about being the best; it is more of an expression of my emotions through movement. After a hard day at school, I would come into the studio and just let the music take over me. Through my movements, I could release all the built up tension from that day and really connect with my feelings. Dancing has become a daily ritual of not only distressing my body and mind, but a critical way of tapping into my inner most emotions. This emotional connection has made dance very personal to me and hard to talk about, thus I decided to do a visual interpretation. This visual definition sums up over 15 years worth of development in my movement. It also presents all the different dance styles that have helped mold me into the performer I am today. I decided to show multiple dances because these dances are more like journal entries to me. As cliché as it sounds, each dance captured an important point in my life and when I was performing each piece I was “bearing a bit of my soul.” So I feel that the loss of one would form an incomplete representation of myself and diminish the projects overall meaning. Through the formation of this visual representation, I have become more aware of what direction I’m heading as an artist along with an idea of what times I began to really change as a person.

7 comments:

MKettlewell said...

I loved this piece. I think the different dance clips were a great way of representing who you are/what your passion is.
I wanted to ask if there is a specific dance style that you prefer over others.

john.smisek said...

this was awesome! i was a little sceptical at first, but seeing all these different styles of dance was like seeing different aspects of your personality! it was so effective.

this project really didn't raise any questions for me, but it got me thinking about how people's passions reflect their personality and vice versa. i don't know if that even makes sense, but i was definitely wondering about it.

good job! really!

irish milkmann said...

Holy $#!t, that was a BA presentation. During the first part of the presentation I was really puzzled by the dance but as the movie went on it was awesome. The dance moves were awesome. I was like dammmm she got moves haha.

My question is when is the next field trip to go clubin.

Baylee said...

Jordan! So I know you pretty well because we are friends and hang out so I can definitely tell when something is important to you and what really means a lot to you. And I know dance is one of the most important things in your life. I loved your project, your dancing a so amazing, you are so talented and gifted. My favorite type of dance you do is hip hop, cause girl you can sha shake it! the video was perfect and put together so well. My one question to you is if you could join any dance company which one would it be?

Mandy said...

You are an amazing dancer! Watching you dance brought back memories of when I was little and would be in dance competitions:) I really liked how many different types of dance routines and music you were dancing too. It seems like you can dance to anything and everything:)

Morgan said...

Dance
i give you props. It looks so hard and yet you seem to do it with ease. I wish i had that talent. I guess thats what makes us all different and you really took your talent and ran with it. Im sure it was not easy, but it paid off. You are a great dancer!

Leizl said...

1. Your project made me look at dance a whole new way. It was very interesting. The thing I like most is that it made dance relatable to everyone.

2. What is your favorite genre of dance? Why?